“I remember that first day I called and spoke to MSP’s Residential Counselor. She was my first sight of light – but then it took too long for me to be placed. I was about to give up and continue living in my unhappy and abusive marriage, but then my MSP Case Manger called. My second sign of light. I almost lost hope, and MSP restored and brought my hope back. The love and support has permanently lit the light which I was seeing from a distance.
I am in the process of recovery through therapy and different groups we go to here at the shelter. I will be sad to move on, and move once I find our own place. But at the same time will be rejoicing because that is what this program is for. To help women and children overcome obstacles from their past. You guys are the tunnel of light toward a better, brighter future for us.”
-Mary*, MSP client & survivor
*Names and identifying details changed to protect client confidentiality.
Fiscal Year 2019
- 148 survivors were provided with safe, secure shelter for an average of 90 days
- 1299 case management and counseling sessions were provided, including 47 addiction counseling sessions
- 8646 referrals were provided to community-based social services agencies
- 117 survivors assisted with gaining employment or education program placement
- 196 youth session supported the children in our shelter in overcoming their trauma
Fiscal Year 2019 cont…
- 157 crisis counseling sessions provided to survivors in aftercare
- 188 psycho-education workshops were provided in collaboration with community partners
- 38 families transitioned to transitional or permanent housing
- Led 11 bystander intervention trainings and provided trainings to 296 community participants
- 77 community events were attended and tabled by MSP staff
- 99 survivors received legal support through our weekly legal clinic
The above reflect reported numbers to the DC Office of Victim Services Grants and the DC Department of Human Services, two of our major funders. MSP’s fiscal year begins on October 1st and ends on September 30th.